Anyone who is even remotely familiar with Fab Feminist & my illustration work must be aware of the fact that I like a good quote. And I really like celebrating the work and lives of feminists who are putting in the time to shift the patriarchal paradigm that is literally destroying the planet. These two pleasures have been milling about in the back of my mind for months, with a sneaking suspicion that a fun project could just maybe be in the making, if only I could dedicate some time to brainstorm. Well, guess what? I have finally had some time, I’ve done some research, I’ve even checked in with the Fab Feminist community to collect some input and the new project has been born!
I’m super excited to announce the conception of the Fab Feminist Fav Subscription! (Due date, late August, 2019)
The Fab Feminist Fav subscription will dedicate each month to a feminist individual or partnership busting ass in the world *right now*. They could be a politician, writer, scientist, activist, athlete, musician, actor, etc etc. Women and gender-queer/non-conforming folks will be prioritized, and the Fab Feminist community has the opportunity to weigh in on who should be a Fab Feminist Fav by nominating their personal fav via Instagram.
Things I was thinking about as I dreamed up the Fab Feminist Fav subscription:
- I think feminist work needs to be accessible to as many people as reasonably possible, and in this context accessibility refers to price and specifically to upfront costs. This was challenging to settle on, because of course what feels accessible in terms of cost to one person might be very different for someone else. Factoring in the cost of shipping, I decided that around $15 was a fair price point, with even further discounts for purchasing longer subscriptions.
- I also fundamentally believe that feminist work needs to appropriately compensate the work of makers and creators, which means that, taxing as it is to calculate my own self worth, I need to make sure I’m getting paid. If you've been a member of the Fab Feminist community for a while, you might recall that I used to run a subscription box. It was a TON of work, and took up lots of resources. I was creating anywhere from 10 to 20 new illustrations per month just for the subscription box alone. It was a fun, intense challenge, but ultimately it was just too exhausting to be sustainable. I knew that in order for this new subscription box to work, it needed to be something I could have fun with, that would still allow me to reach my other work goals and commitments.
- For work to be feminist it should be as environmentally conscious as possible. I want as many of my items as possible to be biodegradable and shipped in eco-friendly materials. Putting together a large, heavy box each month wouldn't really make sense. I wanted to be able to source light weight, sturdy and reliable materials that also would keep the cost of each package reasonable.
- If it isn’t intersectional, it’s not feminist. So, although I take nominations and suggestions for who should be the next Fab Feminist Fav, the list is curated to make sure that the Fav’s are diverse and inclusive of different identities and expressions. Additionally, I haven't made any commitments at this point, but I am thinking I'll be creating illustrations of folks who aren't selected as the Feminist Fav's of the month, but are still seriously worth celebrating. Maybe you'll get some extra stickers of these badasses each month? Maybe I'll get to interview some people or share more of their stories? All I'm saying is that once I started asking people to give me names of their Feminist Fav's, it was a matter of minutes before I had the thought: "Shit, 1 feminist a month, 12 months in a year... that's only 12 Feminist Favs a year. There are so many badasses we need to be celebrating! How do I do this??"
While I was still in the early stages of brainstorming all this, I reached out to friend and equally fabulous feminist Renee Powers, formerly of the Wild & Cozy Truth Podcast and currently the babe behind the Feminist Bookclub. I was super excited to conspire with Renee in meshing up the first ever Fab Feminist Fav subscription with Feminist Bookclub's September box, featuring UNLADYLIKE: A FIELD GUIDE TO SMASHING THE PATRIARCHY AND CLAIMING YOUR SPACE by Cristen Conger and Caroline Ervin.
Holy crap, I thought! Is there I chance I could get to illustrate the ladies who created the iconic Stuff Mom Never Told You podcast?? The very podcast that was earmarked for most of my generation's feminist education outside of the classroom?? I mean, who didn't listen to SMNTY?? At least once or twice?
I was thrilled when Renee emailed me back to say Cristen & Caroline were game for being illustrated. Thrilled I tell you!!
*So, what do I get in the subscription??*
Oh I am SO GLAD you asked! Each month I will create an original illustration dedicated to the fabulous person selected to be the Fab Feminist Fav, including in inspirational quote by them. Subscribers will be treated to the following feminist goodies:
- A 5x7” print of the illustration, perfect for your desk or gallery wall. This print is produced on 16 point matte eco-friendly paper stock.
- A fact sheet giving you all the ways the Fab Feminist Fav is kicking ass and taking names.
- A 3” waterproof, permanent adhesive vinyl sticker, that’s dishwasher-proof and can even be used as a bumper sticker or bike sticker.
- A 2” matte sticker made with biodegradable, 100% recycled content, ideal for a notebook or planner.
- Finally you’ll get a personalized note from me, because you’re awesome.
You know what makes this subscription even more fabulous?? Each monthly illustration is exclusive for subscribers and will not be released to the rest of the world for at least 1 month after it’s launched. The upcoming Fab Feminist Fav will be announced on Instagram & via the Fab Feminist mailing list, which you can sign up for here.
Including shipping, all these goodies would retail for $15.97, but you can get yours for as little as $9.65 a month!
- Get a full year of Fab Feminist Fav fabulousness for just $9.65 a month ($115.80)
- Get 9 glorious months for only $10.23 each month ($92.07)
- Get a sweet trial run of 3 months for $11.36 monthly ($34.08)
Definitely stay tuned for a sweet giveaway I'll be offering in conjunction with Feminist Book Club!
Can I pay monthly?
Because I offer tiered pricing the cost of the total subscription must be paid in full, up front.
Can you give me some examples of who might be featured?
The upcoming Fab Feminist Fav will be anounced each month, but some folks who have been nominated are: Megan Rapinoe, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Roxane Gay, Alice Walker, Janet Mock, Lizzo, Jameela Jamil, Kamala Harris, Mazie Hirono, Elizabeth Warren, Michelle Obama, Maxine Waters, Clementine Ford, Hannah Gadsby, Jazzmyne Jay, Sophia Carter-Kahn, Laverne Cox, Tammy Duckworth, Rachel Cargle, Imani Barbarin, Samira Wiley, Mariska Hargitay -- and many more! You can nominate someone via the Fab Feminist Instagram
What happens if I move?
Just message or email me your correct address. If your subscription for that month has already been mailed it will either get forwarded to your new address (if you set up a mail forward with USPS) or it will be returned to me. If it is returned to me you will just need to pay for the cost of a new shipping label.
When will it ship & when will I get it?
New subscribers will receive the current month’s goodies within 1-7 business days of placing their order (Unless the current month is already sold out, in which case your subscription will begin on the following month. This information will be available in the listing prior to purchasing.) On-going subscriptions will ship out via USPS first class mail by the 1st of each month, and will take between 2 and 5 days to arrive.
Can I purchase a subscription as a gift?
Absolutely! Please verify that the correct recipient name and address is provided.
Will you ship internationally?
Yes! However, I will have to get you an individualized shipping fee based on your zipcode. You may also have to pay additional taxes/import duties to your customs authorities.